If you wear makeup on a regular basis or watch “how to” makeup tutorials, then you probably know which makeup brush to use for concealing, applying foundation and contouring. Are you aware that you should be cleaning your brushes regularly? Washing your brushes (and sponges) should be a vital part of your beauty routine. Dirt, oil and bacteria may get trapped in the bristles, which leads to clogged pores, which in turn leads to breakouts. Also, makeup tools can sometimes be a bit pricey, so proper cleaning extends the life of your brushes, protecting your investment.
So start your beauty regimen off right by following these quick and easy tips to deep clean your makeup brushes.
1. Dampen the brush/sponge with warm water or use shallow bowl.
2. Add a few drops of dish detergent, castile soap or baby shampoo.
3. Gently work the product into the brush/sponge.
4. Rinse and repeat until the water runs clears.
5. Lay them flat on cloth to dry.
If you would like to watch step-by-step instructions, watch these 2 tutorials below.
1. Quickest Way to Deep Clean Your Makeup Brushes, by Taylor Anise
Taylor soaks her brushes first before she cleans them. She uses the Sigma Beauty Spa Express Brush Cleaving Glove to remove makeup from her brushes in this super quick and easy tutorial.
2. How to Clean Beauty Blenders & Makeup Brushes, by Kathryn Bedell
Kathryn uses coconut oil, dish soap and an antimicrobial lotion soap to clean her tools. She notes that the coconut oil is the key to the break down the of makeup.
In addition to cleaning them properly, be sure to store your tools in a spacious, clean environment. Place them in a way so the bristles are not in contact with each other. These tips will help preserve the life of your tools, but if you notice shedding, cracked handles or your make looks patchy …then you know it is time to replace them. So, take the time to properly care for your makeup tools. Your skin will thank you for it.