We always talk about the versatility of natural hair but wigs—now that’s versatility! I mean there is literally a wig in every style, color, texture, and length you can imagine! We even have box braid wigs, ya’ll. Not only that, but wigs can be purchased with synthetic or human hair, and in a variety of types: lace fronts, hand tied, monofilaments, half wigs, custom wigs, etc. There are also beautiful wigs with natural textures by brands like HerGivenHair and KinkyCurlyYaki.
Many women choose wigs as their protective style of choice, and some women wear them on a daily basis. Even besides the proven benefits of protective styling, there are several reasons why wigs are a go-to. Here’s 8!
1. Length retention! For many naturals who choose to wear wigs, this is the reason. The length retention from wearing wigs is incredible! There’s definitely something to be said about leaving your hair alone and letting it grow. Since wigs are such a low manipulation style, you’re eliminating obstacles that keep you from retaining length, such as breakage, dryness, tangles, and split ends. YouTuber ElleforLexxi shares that her natural hair has grown a lot from wearing wigs. Check out her hair’s progress towards the end of the video:
2. You can still have complete access to your hair. Unlike other long term protective styles such as box braids or sew-ins, wigs give you complete access to your hair/scalp. You can take your wig off when you get home and let it breathe! You can still wash and condition your hair each week and/or oil your scalp with no problems. By keeping your hair clean and moisturized underneath your wig, you can maintain and promote thickness in your hair while rocking your wig.
3. They’re a great way to “test the water.” Like I said, wigs can come in any style you want, so when you’re considering cutting or coloring your hair, sometimes it’s better to just try a wig out first, especially if you tend to be either indecisive or impulsive. Plus, when it comes to natural hair, coloring is a big deal and can have potentially cumbersome consequences if not done correctly. The right wig might have you change your mind. You’ll be able to maintain the health of your hair while still being able to switch up your look whenever you feel like it.
4. They’ll give you time to bounce back. If you’re suffering from any type of hair damage or have recently had a setback in your journey, or hair loss due to chemotherapy, stress or genetics, wigs are a great option to give your hair a much needed break and help it properly recover, as they require minimum manipulation. What’s important is that you baby your hair and scalp and maintain a healthy hair regimen underneath your wigs.
5. The convenience! I don’t know about you but for me, there’s nothing better than not having to do your hair all the time! Plus, it’s good to know that you’ll have a great hair day instead of not always being able to predict how your hairstyle will turn out. Elise of TwinGodesses is a proud wig wearer and says it’s all about convenience: “There’s a huge misconception that’s been going around in the natural hair community that Naturals who choose to wear protective styles like wigs don’t necessarily like our hair or maybe it’s our texture or our length and that’s not true. The reason I don’t wear my hair out that often is really because I’m just lazy!”
6. It can cure texture envy. Many of us have been there before, wishing you had someone else’s hair? Well sis, you gotta work with what the good Lord gave you but it’s nice to know that with wigs, you can test drive any texture you want! The options are endless and it’s fun to branch out and experiment with different types of wigs.
|Cosplayer Mica Burton|
7. Cosplay! For women who love to costume play, the right wig can definitely take your costume to the next level. It’s fun to be expressive in this way without having to damage your real hair in the process.
8. Because I feel like it! You obviously don’t need a reason to wear wigs! It’s your hair and you are entitled to wear it how you want to, without being concerned about what anyone else thinks.
Also, important to note, if you choose to wear wigs for any reason make sure to properly care for your scalp!