4 Awesome Benefits of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil for Hair
By Jacqueline Samaroo
With so many medicinal properties, it isn’t surprising that ylang-ylang essential oil has been a coveted item since the Victorian age. One of its more famous claims to fame is as an aphrodisiac agent – no wonder Chanel No 5 fragrance is so exquisite!
Old beauty remedies from several cultures also highlight the benefits of ylang-ylang essential oil for hair. In fact, many recommend it for Venus-like hair!
So, are you ready to get better hair with some ylang-ylang essential oil? Read on, we have you covered!
What Is Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil?
Ylang-ylang essential oil comes from the flowers of the Cananga Odorata tree. The tree is common in south-east Asian countries, such as Indonesia and China. It can also be found in the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, and Queensland in northeastern Australia.
Ylang-ylang flowers are a beautiful yellow-green color and have an exquisite fragrance. That fragrance is both fruity and floral. It is often described as a strong combination of neroli, jasmine, rubber, and custard.
The oil is extracted from the flower by way of steam distillation and comes in different grades according to purity.
Uses of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang-ylang essential oil is widely used in haircare and skincare products. Apart from these, here are some other modern and traditional uses of ylang-ylang.
- The essential oil is used in the food industry.
- It is used extensively in aromatherapy.
- It has traditionally been used as a treatment for malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, and stomach ailments, among other illnesses.
- It may be an effective treatment for anxiety, depression, and high blood pressure.
Benefits of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil for Hair
Ylang-ylang hair oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties alongside its soothing fragrance.
But why include it in your hair care regimen? Well, here are some fantastic benefits of ylang-ylang essential oil for hair to help you in making your decision.
1. Ylang-ylang essential oil keeps your hair shiny.
Ylang-ylang essential oil is known as a natural moisturizer. This is because it effectively locks moisturizer in your hair follicles. On top of that, this oil also smoothes out the rough hair follicles.
The result- Strong, frizz-free hair that shines through everything!
2. Ylang-ylang essential oil prevents hair loss and boosts hair growth.
One of the best benefits of ylang-ylang essential oil for hair is its hair growth-boosting and natural conditioning properties.
That’s because this oil can help regulate the sebum level by stimulating the sebum glands of your scalp. So, if you have a dry scalp, it will balance the dryness. On the other hand, for those who have an oily scalp, ylang-ylang oil maintains the oil balance to keep sebum production normal.
Additionally, it also nourishes hair follicles. Hence, you get stronger hair instead of brittle and weak strands.
So, if you have dry scalp and thinning hair, a bottle of ylang-ylang oil might be of great benefit to you!
- Best Treatment for Dry Scalp – 5 DIY Remedies
- 4 Easy Hair Strand Tests for Damaged Hair + 2 More Ways to Test If Your Hair Is Damaged
3. Ylang-ylang essential oil cures head lice.
It may not be a pleasant topic, but head lice are quite common in school-aged children or anyone who shares a college dorm. But you can always keep lice at bay with ylang-ylang essential oil. This oil comes with potent antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It kills head lice effectively while helping to soothe and prevent itching and irritation.
4. Ylang-ylang essential oil helps to relieve stress.
Stress is one of the leading causes of common hair problems like excessive hair fall, premature greying, etc. But, now, you can fight it! As per research, regular scalp massage with ylang-ylang oil helps relieve stress and anxiety to improve the condition of your hair.
- Stress and Hair Loss: Here’s The Connection and 5 Ways to Break It
- 10 Popular Ingredients for Homemade Conditioner for Frizzy Hair
- Homemade Conditioner for Frizzy Hair – 3 Super Easy Recipes
How to Use Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil for Hair Growth
If you want to get the best benefits of ylang-ylang hair oil for hair, you need to use good quality essential oil. Additionally, the aim is to use it in moderation (only a few drops) to receive sustainable results.
Here are the different ways you can use ylang-ylang oil
- A natural hair spray to tame frizz and get some shine seems like a wonderful idea! For this, you just need water, ylang-ylang essential oil, and a spray bottle. Add warm water and then a few drops of ylang-ylang essential oil to the bottle. Shake it well, and your hair spray is ready! You can use this any time you want!
- Regular massage with ylang-ylang oil is also beneficial for anyone with thinning hair and excessive hair fall. You can use olive oil or coconut oil for this. Just add four to five drops of this essential oil with three tablespoons of warm olive oil or coconut oil. Gently massage your scalp and leave for thirty minutes. After that, wash your hair. Try doing this once a week to get better and healthy hair!
- You can also add this essential oil to your shampoo to make the shampoo better. Add nearly ten to twenty drops of oil to 200 ml shampoo and mix it well. After every wash, the shampoo will offer you soft, shiny, and stronger hair.
- A conditioning mask made with ylang-ylang essential oil also offers an excellent remedy for split ends and weak hair follicles. First, you need to mix avocado oil and coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio. Add ten drops of ylang-ylang oil to this mixture. Then, apply it on your split ends regularly!
So, are you ready to use ylang-ylang essential oil for better and stronger hair? After all, it offers some great results and is super easy to use.
- Curly Haircare: How Does Almond Oil Help In Hair Growth? 5 Wonderful Benefits
- Flaxseed Oil for Curly Hair – 4 Amazing Benefits
- Is Dandelion Root Good for You and Your Hair? Check Out These 8 Amazing Benefits
- 5 Amazing Caviar Benefits for Skin and Hair Care
Have you used ylang-ylang essential oil as a part of your curly haircare regimen? Tell us about it!