The Best Protein Treatment for Hair
Our Top 7 Favorites!
By Jacqueline Samaroo
Protein treatments make great additions to any natural haircare routine. The best protein treatment for natural hair will depend on the state your hair is in. Is it healthy and thriving? Then a light protein treatment once in a while should be all you need. Are your curls damaged? The best protein treatment for hair that is breaking will be stronger and you should consider using it in your weekly washday routine.
Plus, it’s worth remembering that your hair porosity affects how well your hair absorbs and reacts to a protein treatment. Read Hair Porosity: What Is It and How Is Black Hair Affected?
Not sure which is the best protein treatment for you? We’ve got your back! We’re sharing our top 7 favs and why we really like them!
If you’d like to find out more about what are protein treatments, their benefits, and how to use them, be sure to read these first:
- Protein Treatments for Hair Growth – 6 Things You Should Know
- Natural Hair Care: Protein and Hair – 7 Questions Answered
Here are the seven protein treatments we have lined up for you.
Meet our top seven protein treatments and get a heads-up on what type of hair and hair issues each one is best for treating! Enjoy!
- Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil Protein Conditioner
- tgin Miracle RepaiRx Curl Protein Reconstructor
- SheaMoisture Manuka Honey and Yogurt Hydrate Plus Repair Protein Power Treatment
- Cantu Shea Butter Anti Fade Color Protecting Moisture Masque with Quinoa Protein
- Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment
- ApHogee Intensive 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
Seven of the Best Protein Treatments for Black Hair
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR THAT’S CHEMICALLY-TREATED
Tropic Isle Living combines mayonnaise, Jamaican black castor oil, and a host of other beneficial hair oils in this treatment designed for chemically-treated and damaged hair. On its list of oils, you will find lemon oil, neem oil, and grapeseed oil, as well as both avocado oil and vitamin E oil.
- The Top 10 (Fixable) Things That Damage Natural Hair
- Want to Grow Healthy Hair? Here’s a Fun Quiz and 5 Great Tips
- 4 Easy Hair Strand Tests for Damaged Hair + 2 More Ways to Test If Your Hair Is Damaged
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR THAT’S HEAT-DAMAGED
Our second protein treatment for hair also features black castor oil among its top-billed ingredients. You also get the goodness of biotin (vitamin B7) and raw black honey in a thick Thank God It’s Natural formula. Together they work to detoxify your strands while infusing them with protein to strengthen heat-damaged hair.
- Can Heat Damaged Hair Be Repaired? Here Are 15 Awesome Tips
- How to Use a Blow Dryer (the Right Way!) to Dry Curly Hair – 10 Tips
- 7 Ways to Prevent Heat Damage to Natural Hair
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR THAT’S VERY DRY AND BRITTLE
SheaMoisture packs lots of really good stuff into this reparative protein treatment. Your dry and brittle strands are hydrated and strengthened with its manuka honey, yogurt, baobab oil, and mafura oil. Of course, it also has shea butter among its ingredients, along with coconut oil and pro-vitamin B5.
- How to Treat Dry Scalp – 6 Simple and Effective Lifestyle Changes
- 8 Common Causes of Dry Scalp Plus Easy Ways to Tell It’s Not Dandruff
- Best Treatment for Dry Scalp – 5 DIY Remedies
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR THAT’S COLOR-TREATED
This shea butter and quinoa creation from Cantu is our pick for the best protein treatment for hair that is color-treated. Get strength for your strands to combat the effects of dyeing. It’s good to know you can mix up your style with a new hair color of your choice, and turn to this protein treatment for protection, knowing it won’t fade your color.
- Fantastic Benefits of Quinoa for Hair Plus 5 Quinoa Hair Products to Try!
- 10 of the Best Box Dyes for Natural Hair – Want Rich and Vibrant Color?
- 6 Natural Ways to Color Natural Hair
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR THAT’S FINE AND DRY
This treatment from Curl Junkie has keratin amino acids, pro-vitamin B5, and hydrolyzed yeast among its ingredients. It is designed for normal to fine hair types that are fragile and breaking. Its sunflower seed oil, apricot, and jojoba oils aid with moisturizing, hydrating, and detangling your strands.
- Black Hair Products: DIY Hair Detangler – 4 Super Easy Recipes
- Natural Hair Care: What Are Single Strand Knots?
- What Is a Hot Oil Treatment and 10 Reasons It’s Good for Natural Hair
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR THAT’S CHEMICALLY TREATED AND HEAT-DAMAGED
ApHogee’s Reconstructor helps to fill in gaps in the protein structure of your hair. It strengthens each strand and helps to stop split ends before they happen. The formula includes both green tea and wheat germ, as well as keratin and collagen proteins. Its jojoba oil and pro-vitamin B5 also help to condition your hair and scalp.
- Green Tea Hair Rinse: What is it, 5 Terrific Benefits, and How to DIY Your Own
- Benefits of Wheat Protein Treatment for Hair (With 5 Awesome Product Examples!)
- Heat DESTROYED My Type 4 Natural Hair!! | EfikZara
BEST PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR HAIR WITH LOOSE CURLS
Rounding out our list of the best protein treatments is an all-time favorite from Briogeo. Repairing strands is what this deep conditioning mask is ALL about. It contains rosehip oil whose fatty acids help to hydrate hair and fight frizziness. You also get the benefits of the B vitamin complex, as well as the protective antioxidants, amino acids, and minerals that algae extract brings to the formula.
- Homemade Conditioner for Frizzy Hair – 3 Super Easy Recipes
- 7 Best Deep Conditioners for Black Hair
- Natural Hair Care: 10 Amazing Cleansing Conditioners for Curly Hair
What do you think is the best protein treatment for hair… of any kind?! Let us know!