Protective Natural Hairstyles: 21 Exquisite IG Loc Hairstyle Pics
By Jacqueline Samaroo
We all know Black hair is totally awesome! From its range of textures to the myriad ways in which we style it, Black hair’s versatility can be truly mind-boggling at times. And, we’re here to prove it! In this post, we’ve curated 21 truly beautiful examples of loc hairstyles that show off the versatility of our hair and the protective natural hairstyles we love to use. Enjoy!
Are you looking to change up your style or your approach to how you care for and feel about your natural hair? These two recent posts can help!
- Need A Natural Haircare New Year’s Resolution? Here Are 17 Suggestions!
- How to Embrace Your Natural Hair: 26 Famous Quotes About Black Hair
1. You can see why we wear our locs with pride!
2. They bring out those true goddess vibes.
We often use protective hairstyles for hair growth and as a way to promote length retention. And, while some naturalistas tend to stay away from protective styling, it is still a pretty popular option. Get some ideas on protective styling best practices from our recent post – Protective Styles for Natural Hair Growth – 7 Great Points to Keep in Mind.
Find more beautiful natural hairstyles for curly hair in our other recent posts:
- 27 Really Gorgeous No-Heat Natural Hair Styles
- 12 Simply Beautiful Halo Braids / Crown Braids Pics and 8 How-To Videos
- IG Natural Hairstyles: 21 High Bun / Top Knot Styles to Rock on Any Occasion
3. Locs can do so much! From playful updos…
4. To cozy wraps…
5. To the allure of being loc’d and shaved…
6. Which is simply eye-catchingly beautiful…
7. And, often, a true work of art!
Many of our favorite Black hair styling options come from protective styling. Protective natural hairstyles help to prevent daily manipulation of our hair. That’s really great since coily, kinky, and curly hair tends to be more fragile and in need of greater care than other hair types.
Want more pics of shaved natural hairstyles? We’ve got you covered! Read Natural Hair Styles: 27 Stunning Tapers and Fades.
8. Plus, you can do your locs in an overflowing half-up-half-down style.
9. Or, how about plump and pretty purple locs?
Adding color is a great way to mix up your loc hairstyle. However, it is very important to remember that if you choose to dye your natural hair, you should do so with care. Use brands that make a point of staying away from harmful ingredients and including nourishing ones in their formulas instead. Also, get your hair professionally done whenever possible so you can take advantage of your stylist’s expertise and experience with coloring hair.
10. A neat two-toned updo.
11. Or, this coily locstyle take on afro puffs – we love it!
Protective styles are low-maintenance, reducing the amount of time you spend on styling your hair. That can be a wonderful advantage if you enjoy exercising, running, going to the gym, or are just too busy with everything else in life to focus daily on your hair.
Opting to use a wig as a protective style is another brilliant low-maintenance move. Find out about the benefits of wearing wigs and get tips on caring for your wig, here: Thinking of Using a Wig as A Protective Style? Here Are 7 Awesome Reasons to Go for It!
Plus, be sure to read Natural Hair and an Active Lifestyle Can Coexist – Here’s How!
12. Locs in a pineapple – with bangs. Super cute!
The pineapple hairstyle is a great no-cutting, no-commitment trick for wearing your hair with bangs. For more great ideas on wearing bangs, read How to Get Perfect Bangs Hairstyles with Curly Hair – 7 Tips and Tricks.
13. Go ahead and accessorize your locs with a bold wrap…
14. But, know your lovely locs will still be the center of attention.
Protective styles and wraps are wonderful styling options when transitioning your hair from chemically processed to natural. Get some really good hair transitioning advice, here: Transitioning Hair: Its Stages and 12 Helpful Natural Hair Journey Tips.
Also, see our selection of wraps and scarves, here: 10 Pretty Satin and Silk Head Scarves Natural Hair Divas Will Love!
15. Bask in the confidence that a headful of beautiful locs brings…
16. Knowing everyone else can see it, too!
If you like the idea of adding color to your natural hair but would rather avoid commercial hair dyes, there are many safe, natural ways to color your hair. We covered some of them in this post – 6 Natural Ways to Color Natural Hair.
17. Speaking of colorful locs…
18. Check out the fiery red of this loc updo.
19. And, the mesmerizing color transition on these free-flowing golden locs.
Taking care of your hair no matter the color or style it is in is vitally important for the health and growth of your hair. If you opt to use color on your curls, read Caring for Your Natural Hair Before and After a Dye Job – 11 Tips.
And, be sure to check out our box dye roundup: 10 of the Best Box Dyes for Natural Hair – Want Rich and Vibrant Color?
20. The classic style of long locs in a bun is one of our faves!
21. But, locs look totally fabulous on short natural hair, too!
One of the really good things about locs is that they work very well with hair of any length. So, while we love admiring long, flowing locks, it is also one of the best natural protective hairstyles for short hair.
Locs look really great, no matter your natural hair type. To get helpful tips and inspiration for caring for your particular hair type – read 12 Natural Hair Influencers to Follow (According to Hair Type).
Of course, no protective style, long or short, should be done so tightly that it causes you pain. That pain is an indication that your scalp and strands are experiencing too much tension. If you’re dealing with pain from a protective style install, read: Natural Hair Styles: 12 Easy Ways to Get Relief from Too-Tight Braids.
If wearing your natural hair loose is more your style, and you love rocking a totally fresh wash-and-go ‘fro, be sure to see: Natural Hair Styles: 18 Simply Beautiful Afros for Your Inspiration.
What are your favorite protective hairstyles for curly hair? Let us know!