Flat Twist Natural Hair Styles: 15 Beautiful IG Pics + How-to Videos!
By Jacqueline Samaroo
The beauty and elegance of the flat twist lie in its simplicity. Plus, it’s quite versatile! You can rock this natural hairstyle in an updo, low bun, with your twists loose and free, half-up half-down, and a myriad of other styles. You can also repurpose your flat twist hairstyle into a bouncy, curly twist out when you are ready to take the style down. No wonder this is one of the best-loved protective styles for natural hair.
Get some inspiration for flat twist hairstyles you can do in your own hair from these 15 flat twist pics we’ve curated from Instagram.
We also have three how-to videos lined up for you!
- How to do a flat twist out on stretched hair.
- How to twist and flat twist – for beginners.
- How to do a super-protective flat twist hairstyle.
Protective styling is a must for textured hair if your natural hair journey goals include length retention. Styles that keep your strands close together to retain moisture and your ends tucked in to minimize breakage are best. Read more about protective styling in these posts.
- Protective Styles for Natural Hair Growth – 7 Great Points to Keep in Mind
- 7 Tips For Growing Out Your Natural Hair While Rocking a Protective Hair Style
Let’s get started!
15 Beautiful Flat Twist Pics from Instagram
First up are several updos – high buns, halo braids, a fauxhawk, and more!
1. The classic high bun.
2. Chunkier twists and a big curly bun that takes center stage.
Love high buns? We gathered some high bun and top knot pics off IG for you. Check them out!
And, for more natural hairstyles inspiration…
- Protective Natural Hairstyles: 21 Exquisite IG Loc Hairstyle Pics
- Natural Hair Styles: 27 Stunning Tapers and Fades
- Natural Hair Styles – 25 Badass Bantu Knots Inspiration Pics
3. A cute off-to-the-side updo.
4. Updo with twisted bangs; loving the blue!
Thinking of getting curly bangs? Read this for some inspiration! How to Get Perfect Bangs Hairstyles with Curly Hair – 7 Tips and Tricks
Adding color to your natural curls is an awesome way to change up your style. If you’ve dyed your hair or are considering it, be sure to check out our recent articles on dyeing natural hair.
- 6 Natural Ways to Color Natural Hair
- 10 of the Best Box Dyes for Natural Hair – Want Rich and Vibrant Color?
- Caring for Your Natural Hair Before and After a Dye Job – 11 Tips
5. Flaunting those grays in a twisted fauxhawk!
6. An angelic, classic halo braids hairstyle done with a twist.
7. Another sweet take on the twisted halo braid.
Whether you call them halo braids or crown braids, we know they’re hard to resist when you are looking for a sophisticated updo. That’s why we’ve got you covered in this recent post.
8. Here we go again, flaunting those grays! This time in a side-swept style.
9. These chunky, twisted pigtails are an eye-catching way to frame your face.
10. Letting those twists flow loose.
11. It’s on to the classic low bun.
12. A low bun with curved twists coming from a middle part.
13. Another gorgeous take on the low bun natural hairstyle.
14. Flat twists placed out in front – setting the stage for the curly fro!
- Nothin’ beats the fro! Find more fro inspo, here – Natural Hair Styles: 18 Simply Beautiful Afros for Your Inspiration.
15. For those times when you simply need your twists to act in a supporting role.
See fauxhawks, frohawks, and plenty more natural hairstyles on full display in this post – 27 Really Gorgeous No-Heat Natural Hair Styles.
How to do a flat twist out on stretched hair
with @bystassie #naturalhairjourney
A style that can be transformed into another with ease will always be one of our go-to styles. That’s exactly why flat twists get so much lovin’ from naturalistas!
Watch as @bystassie shows how she goes from flat twist to flat twist out on stretched hair.
View this post on Instagram
Want more twist-out inspo? Check these out!
- Twist Out Natural Hair Styles: 21 Beautiful IG Twist Out Pics
- 12 Tips to Keep Twist Outs Looking Awesome Overnight and Longer!
For different ways to stretch natural hair with and WITHOUT using heat, be sure to read:
Flat Twist How-to Videos
Some hairstylists specialize in creating protective styles in natural hair and they do an AWESOME job of it. However, knowing how to style your own hair in twists can be a big bonus to your natural haircare routine.
Learn how to do flat twists on your own with these YouTubing naturalistas!
How To: Flat Twist & Two Strand Twist (Beginner’s Guide)|Elle Naturelles
Elle Naturelles takes it sloooow and easy as she does a twist tutorial ANYONE can follow. If you have tried (and tried!) before to master the flat twist – fret no more! Elle Naturelles’ got your back. Watch!
Are flat twists one of your go-to styles? Do you do them in your own hair? We want to know!